Your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man will be swinging back into theaters this summer (July 3rd) with a fresh reboot that is an origin story. Here’s why I think the Amazing Spider-Man (and it’s sequels) will be better than the first Spider-Man trilogy.
- Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker – I won’t say that I hated Toby Maguire as Peter Parker, but I think that Andrew will bring more emotion and do a better job at portraying Peter Parker’s struggle. Andrew also has the look of Parker/Spidey more than Toby. He not a big guy, so he’s going to rely more on his quickness and speed more than his power. I believe in Marc Webb and I think he along with Andrew will give a good interpretation of Peter Parker.
- Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy – I am hooked on this movie since I found out that Emma Stone is set for the reboot. At first I thought she was playing MJ (with the red hair and all), but became excited when I realized it was for Gwen Stacy. For those that don’t know, Gwen Stacy was Peter’s first love before MJ. With this being an origin story and all, it’s only fitting that she’s the main chick. Also from a movie standpoint, Gwen Stacy falls for Peter while MJ fell for Spider-Man (and eventually fell in love with Peter). With Gwen falling for Peter, she’s putting herself right in the middle of the drama of Peter being Spider-man, and Spider-man vs her Dad the police captain.
- Web Shooters – Peter Parker is a genius. He’s a nerd, but the term “nerd” and “geek” have changed over the years. They’re no longer socially awkward or mocked for what they can do, they’re running the world. Adding the web-shooters, which Peter creates himself, back into the movie just adds that much more to his story and what Peter is all about. We also get to see him help Dr. Connors with various formulas, which eventually leads to the creation of the Lizard.
- The Lizard – Speaking of Connors, I’m excited to see this play out in the movie. I like that the struggle is two-fold between Connors and Parker. From what we know in the trailer, Connors has history with Peter’s father from their work at Oscorp. Connors is also working on limb regeneration and enlists Peter to help him with the formula, made with reptilian DNA. After testing the formula on himself to regrow his missing arm, he transforms into a reptilian humanoid monster. I’m glad they went with the Lizard as opposed to re-hashing the Green Goblin. Doc Connors fits perfectly with the theme that Webb is trying to portray.
- Moving Forward – Even though the first movie hasn’t been released yet, the sequel is already set for May 2nd, 2014. I think in general this series will be better than the first, and will add more to the legend of Spider-Man. There are a lot of villains outside of Green Goblin, Venom and Carnage that could be great on the big screen. Although I’m not a fan of multiple villain movies, Having the Sinister Six would be nice if done right. Would Also like to see if they introduce other characters like MJ, Eddie Brock, Jameson, or even Felicia Hardy/Black Cat.